Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Maye Way

1967...



...and 2009:



What's so remarkable about this lady is that she sounds better now than she did in her youthful "prime." We attended the raucous, star-studded closing night performance of Marilyn Maye's tribute to Johnny Mercer on Sunday evening, and we're still reeling from it. Just as Dorian Gray had an aging portrait hidden away, we're convinced that Ms. Maye has a shriveled, croaky larynx tucked in a drawer somewhere. At 81 years young, she keeps getting better and better each time we see her, and that's not just hyperbolic gushing. Her reviews have been nothing short of rapturous, and her complete command and hypnotic hold on an audience is a thrilling spectacle unto itself. Marilyn returns to the Metropolitan in October; we're counting the minutes.

2 comments:

  1. couldn't have said it better myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd think I was her press agent, the way I rave about her; but she truly astonishes me. And - from my lips to God's ear - I hope she continues for as long as humanly possible.

    ReplyDelete